Recollections by Cecil Anderson - written in June 2006
My Grandfather James Andersonís Funeral in 1931.
As an 18 year old apprentice I was living with my Aunts who had a shop in Bow Street Lisburn (note by Stephen Ė this was a ladies fashion shop owned and run by Aunts Jennie and Lizzie Dennison). On the day of the funeral I was collected by my father who had travelled up to from Dungannon in the Armstrong Siddeley. I have no recollection of brother Will being present but he had to be to drive (nobody other than Will or myself drove the Siddeley). We did not go to the Blackís house on the Albert Bridge Road where Grandather had been living but joined the cortŤge on the Antrim Road. The day was showery and the road was damp but I was permitted to drive after parking on the Antrim Road. Tram lines were a particular hazard to the narrow wheel of cars of that time and on jerking the steering wheel to get the front wheel out of the tram lines the car went into an uncontrollable slide. Fortunately in those days there was so little traffic that no damage was done.
We arrived at 1st Broughshane Presbyterian churchyard and the internment was on the right side (could have been the left) at the wall.
[Diagram included in original showing the grave on the right against the wall 2/3 the way into the cemetery].
We didnít fraternise with those present nor have I any recollection of a meal, but I feel sure that Aunt Annie would have provided something. We got into the car and headed for Lisburn. My brother Will had to be there along with my father and myself.
The Blacks
Aunt Elizabeth and her husband Dicky Black had lived at Gelsonís Corner in small terrace house in an undesirable non uplifting area. I went up one night to say hello but never ventured back (note by Stephen Ė this was 20 Shaw Street).
My father gave the Blacks £3 or £3.10 shillings a week during the period that Grandfather lived with them and also gave his father monies as he depended on the old age pension. An old age pension then was 18 shillings per week. When he died his will left everything to the Blacks which amounted to £350. My father had been giving his father James a weekly stipend for many years. He said to me "I gave him money to spend, not to give to the Blacks".
My father never said anything detrimental about my Grandfather but I sensed that he hadnít too much to thank him for as he stated that he had a deep gratitude to his mother for her determination that he would get "schooling" and be apprenticed to a business that offered opportunities not a dead end existence. His mother Martha alone was responsible and it was due to her he was accepted by the Ballymena Dunlop and Johnson Company.

Back to index